Months back, at the end of January, Gillian broke her arm falling in the parking lot. She had a short-arm cast for 5 weeks. Cast came off in early March. Well, just this last weekend, Annika falls while riding her bike... guess what? Yea.. X-ray shows a fracture in her right arm near her wrist. So we went in yesterday to get Annika's cast put on. The doctor says with a long arm cast, it covers the elbow and really restricts movement, so healing can occur in 3 weeks. Annika spouts off how she really wanted a cast like Gillian's that was short. Doctor says with a short-arm cast, there's more movement, so healing will take 5 weeks. While I'm trying to convince Annika to go with a shorter healing time, the doctor says there is a 'muenster' cast, the is in-between, and healing takes 4 weeks because it allows some movement. So Annika loves the name, and decides to go with that. I'm thinking.. its summer, she wants to swim... why not take the quickest recovery? And, with the itching that goes along with that.. why not get if OFF as soon as possible??? I guess I don't think like a kid...
So.. she gets this mid-length cast... showing Gillian.. and Gillian says... I could have gotten the long cast too.. but I wanted the short-arm. WHAT??? (I was out of town on a business trip when the cast was put on). Ok.. so I don't get it?? I didn't have to deal with the longer time with the cast... well.. ok.. the kids have to deal with it.. but somehow.. when they have casts... it sure seems like I am the one having to deal with it.. "help me with this..." "Help me with that.." uuuuggggghhhhhhhhh!
Ok.. like I warned... just a diversion.
No other real updates. I spoke with the social worker at UCSF. My name is down for the Ronald McDonald House to stay, and since it is so far in advance, and we are traveling from Sac, she said we will likely get in.. but.. always a but... she said to have a back up plan just in case. I also mentioned Gillian's anxiety, and she is going to have some of the specialists make arrangements for me to take Gillian sometime soon, just to get a tour, talk to some folks, and get a good look around so that she can feel comfortable where she is going. She said they have a good program and know how to ease the children's anxieties. So we may be making a trip soon. Yea.. and I guess that means another stop in Japantown... :-)
Thanks for reading!
No comments:
Post a Comment