Wednesday, June 25, 2008

As time draws near...

Still a bit busy to be giving much thought to what is coming up now, just peeking over the horizon. Monday was probably the only 'real' school day for Gillian. Tuesday was a field trip to bowling and laser-tag, Tuesday evening she completed her First Aid class/certification. Wednesday, was a class BBQ during the day, in the evening she was treated to dinner with her past kinder teacher, Mrs. Akiyama. Tomorrow (Thursday), is promotion ceremonies, followed by going out to brunch to celebrate. No school on Friday... So as Gillian says... "Friday IS my summer vacation." So I'll see what I can do to try to make it fun.

So last night, I'm getting barraged with questions, so I guess she's not too busy to start thinking....
Questions like... How long will the surgery take? (We can ask Dr. but my recollection of her 1996 surgery was 4-6 hours. My guess is it won't be as difficult, but may take a few hours). How deep or how large do they have to cut? (Well, as an infant, you are pretty tiny, and the Dr. has big hands, so your scar is relatively large. Now that you are bigger, it won't be as difficult, and with improved technology, it probably won't be as invasive). What will it feel like when I get out? Will it hurt? (It will probably be uncomfortable, just like any other cut or scrape hurts, but you will have lots of medications and the Drs. will make sure you are as comfortable as possible). What if it itches and I can't scratch it? (just like any other 'owie' that you don't scratch directly, you might poke around or near, but just not on it, we can ask the Dr. for more information). Will I be able to sleep on my side? (the Dr. will tell you what positions you can sleep in, you will probably have to lie on your back mostly). How many teddy bears can I bring? (you can bring what you want, but let's be reasonable. You can't bring ALL of them!) How about visitors? (You can have visitors, some of our friends are asking. Please let them know that the Day OF the surgery, 30th, would not be a good day. you will likely be in intensive care, and visitors would be restricted. It would NOT be a good day for visitors. Please wait until AT LEAST the following day, if not the second day following) We read the preparation materials supplied by UCSF, and it was good reading, such as keeping my cell phone off when near care areas.

Other notes: My blackberry will be my only computer/email access. I will be able to post messages to this blog, but they certainly won't be this long. Those of you who text by phone know it takes a while to compose messages.. at least for most of us... :-)
I do expect to try to post more often and when I can. So those of you reading/following this blog may want to soon check more frequently for updates.

I do want to thank the many people who have been offering assistance and support. It means a lot to me, to us. THANK YOU.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just found out that I can modify the settings to make it easier to leave a comment.