Thursday, August 28, 2008

And now the WAIT

Got up early this morning, 5:30am, couldn't sleep after that. Gill also got up. Just chatted a bit. When we went to sleep, I had only half figured out the chair bed. I only got it to the recline-foot extend position, thought I could sleep ok, but sometime just past midnight, hurting all over, I knew I had to figure the rest out, which I did. Much better, but my body would still hurt most of the night. Good thing we were awake. At 6:45am, staff came in to wheel her to surgery prep. While they got paperwork, I was able to pack up all of Gillian's things, stuffed animals all over, put everything in our bags and the nurses are keeping it all in their break room. I went with Gill to the prep room, busy place, looked like 2-3 other patients getting prepped. I think the whole change in atmosphere started to get to Gill, as I could tell as the various assistants and nurses introduced themselves, she was getting more anxious. The anesthesiologist said he was going to give her something that was "like having a glass of wine". I was told I needed to leave, and I think it was then that it really sunk in for Gillian. Now she was really hugging me tight and not wanting me to go. How hard it was/is to see her in tears of anxiety. They gave her a "second glass of wine".. and she started to really get sleepy. How hard it was to walk away, as much as everyone assured me... "we'll take good care of her..."

Now how hard it is to sit here... knowing the wait will be another 3-4 hours..
Got my coffee... sit in the waiting room...
Later, I'll have to get some better/stronger coffee from a real coffee shop across the street.. probably something to eat too.

More later...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep your strength up Ron.

Thinking of you guys.
Slam

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing all the details. What no pics of all the stuffies in the room?

Richard