we hear its hot in Sac/EG! Yea.. the staff around here are complaining about how "hot" it is here. I think it got into the (gasp!) mid-80s! It is a bit warm in our room, our "air conditioning" consists of a fan and an open window.
Here are my observations: Gillian is quite a talker. It's almost funny to hear her talk to the staff. She is not afraid whatsoever to tell staff what she does or does not like. It's funny to see her say, "I'm going to find out about..." and she gets out of bed and hunts down a charge nurse to get answers! We've had talks with the child social worker, who we met when we had the catheterization, and she's been extremely helpful to get Gillian comfortable. We had the nurse, who Gillian says reminds her of Auntie Michelle. Dr. Azakian, and the anesthesiologist all come and chat. Gillian has not been shy about asking all kinds of questions, such as how long she will be under, how long in the hospital, how long she will be out of school... I can't remember them all. But the staff have been really fantastic at answering her questions. She's just had her IV put in for preparation for tomorrow morning, and she is getting so used to that, it doesn't seem to bother her at all. She doesn't seem at all anxious about the surgery tomorrow.
Here is an interesting development. About 3pm today, she went to the "star room" where they have computers, a Wii, X-box, and stuff. Gillian sent me to go get "lunner" (lunch and dinner) while she was talking with the staff person there. Apparently, they get these little stories from patients, and they put together a play or something. Apparently, this gal was very impressed with Gillian's vivid imagination and creativity. Gillian is now tasked with writing a piece that will be incorporated into a larger production, and when this is put to stage, we will get invited. Looks like in May 2009. This is in conjunction with the de Young Museum in GG park. Sorry, I don't have much more info on that. I think it will be a very cool thing to see if Gillian knows she contributed to a part of a play.
Gillians says... She's tired but can't sleep. She says she's nervous, scared, happy (because she knows they are fixing something that will make her feel a lot better when its done), a little mad (because "I have to go to surgery, when many other kids don't have to"). So sounds like mixed feelings. She is telling me stuff as I type.. "I'm energetic... i want to just walk around.. move.. but at the same time.. I just want to stay in bed, watch tv, and be happy." By the way, we don't have cable or satellite TV, we have a TV with DVD/VHS and X-box. We were watching Night at The Museum earlier, but since we got interrupted so often, we never finished it.
"Did you write about how HOT it is in here?, I don't like some of the test they are doing, the food is great, the milkshake wasn't the best. When you wouldn't leave, and I demanded that you leave, but you wouldn't leave, so I sent you off so I could go to the Star Room. That was great!" I picked up Panda Express from across the street from the hospital, and I took it up to the 6th floor (outside the Star Room where Gillian was), and there was a nice patio with cushioned benches. I got to sit, eat my "lunner", and sit with the laptop for a bit.
"I've been demanding Reeses all day. I love looking out the window down the hall from my room. It has a good view of the Golden gate bridge. It looks awesome at sunset. Looking outside, I thought it was the mission, but they told me its some school or church or something."
I'm enjoying typing away as Gillian rattles of all this stuff that she wants to say.
"Now I'm mad at you for writing that comment... Write THAT too!"
Ok... I need to post this so if there are any late night readers, you can get a kick out of all of this!
Good night, and check tomorrow. I will likely post lots of updates.
Gillians says good nite! :-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment